We don’t consume extra salt, fat and sugar from culinary preparation of foods but we do consume extra of these things fromultra-processed foods. Monteiro a Brazilian nutrition researcher uses this term for foods which involves processes like baking, frying, extruding, moulding, re-shaping, hydrogenation and hydrolysis. Foods which generally includes additives such as preservatives, sweeteners, sensory enhancers, colorants, flavours and processing aids,
but little or no whole food with the above said processes comes under the categories of ultra-processed foods. They may be fortified with micronutrients. While processing such foods, the aim is to create durable, convenient and palatable ready-to-eat or ready-to-heat food products suitable to be consumed as snacks or to replace freshly prepared food-based dishes and meals. The list of such foods includes most of the packed soups, instant noodles, frozen dishes and sandwiches, cold nuts and sausages, ready to eat sauces and cake mixes.
Consumption of such foods is likely to produce adverse effects on overall health and leads to lifestyle conditions like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers. These are even harmful for our kids as these foods have more of taste and kids tends to over consume them with all those extra additives. This becomes even alarming when our kids have sedentary lifestyle in this smart phone age.
Sources: Economic Times, Wikipedia, www.drweil.com, The Tribune
- REASONS TO CHOOSE THE CAREER AS A PERSONAL FITNESS TRAINER - August 22, 2018
- AM I HEALTHY ENOUGH? - August 20, 2018
- WHICH IS THE CULPRIT ? CULINARY PREPARED FOODS OR ULTRA PROCESSED FOODS? - July 25, 2018
- SHOULD I EXERCISE WITH HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE? - February 6, 2018
- THE BEST WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT IN A HEALTHY WAY - October 4, 2017
- 5 MYTHS YOU SHOULD AVOID TO LOSE FAT - August 14, 2017
- BECOME A CERTIFIED PERSONAL TRAINER - June 22, 2017
- BECOME A FITNESS COACH - June 22, 2017
- WHAT TO APPLY ? HEAT OR ICE? - May 6, 2017
- MORNING PRE-WORKOUT MEALS - May 6, 2017